PLANO, TX. - After three days of play at the 2018 NJCAA Men's Tennis National Tournament, ASA Miami and Tyler Junior College are tied for the lead with 36 points. This has become a regular occurence for the last few years. Before ASA Miami coach Brian Slack joined the Silver Storm, he was the head coach at ASA New York from 2012-2015. Slack took home the crown in 2014 and 2015 with New York and has now won back-to-back championships in Miami. The last time a team other than ASA or Tyler took home the tropy was in 2012 when Laredo Community College was crowned a national champion.
Seward Community College is in second with 35 points, but that margin will grow one way or the other with ASA and Seward set to face off in four of the six singles flights tomorrow. The Silver Storm took down Seward at flight two doubles today during the quarterfinal round, 6-3, 6-4.
The semifinal round will begin tomorrow morning at 8:00 A.M. (CT). Check twitter @ASASilverStorm for updates throughout the tournament.
These are the matchup's for tomorrow:
- 1 Singles | Tin Chen vs. Nick Rousset (Seward CC) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 2 Singles | Sergio Ingles vs. Alex Parker (Tyler JC) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 3 Singles | Martin Mendoza vs. Hugo Lobo (Seward CC) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 4 Singles | Andres Cabezas vs. Timothee Lamare (Seward CC) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 5 Singles | Kentaro Mizushima vs. Carlo Izurieta (Seward CC) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 6 Singles | Tomas Santantonio vs. Diego Orduz (Seminole State) 8:00 A.M. CT
- 1 Doubles | Tin Chen/Sergio Ingles vs. Frederic Flibleuil/Ferdinand Spickhoff (ABAC) 12:30 P.M. CT
- 2 Doubles | Kentaro Mizushima/Andres Cabezas vs. Matthias Rogel/Lukas Zavre (ABAC) 12:30 P.M. CT
- 3 Doubles | Alejandro Dure Núñez/Tomas Santantonio vs. Drew Brown/Karl Mosterd (Tyler JC) 12:30 P.M. CT
Singles Semifinal Round
- 1 Singles | Tin Chen defeated Frederic Flibleuil (ABAC) 6-3, 6-0.
- 2 Singles | Sergio Ingles defeated Matthias Rogel (ABAC) 6-1, 6-3.
- 3 Singles | Martin Mendoza defeated Marcel Agbegne (NMMI) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5.
- 4 Singles | Andres Cabezas defeated Wlayimer Jimenez (Cowley College) 6-2, 6-0.
- 5 Singles | Kentaro Mizushima defeated Killian Dagneaux (Cowley College) 6-2, 6-0.
- 6 Singles | Tomas Santantonio defeated Thompson Tong (Collin College) 6-2, 6-0.
Doubles Semifinal Round
- 1 Doubles | Tin Chen/Sergio Ingles defeated Jeff Martin Gergo Rendek (Mesa CC) 6-2, 6-1.
- 2 Doubles | Andres Cabezas/Kentaro Mizushima defeated Timothee Lamare/Duro Opacic (Seward CC) 6-3, 6-4.
- 3 Doubles | Tomas Santantonio/Alejandro Dure Nunez defeated Nicklaus Neal/Leonardo Zancheta (Univ of SC) 6-2, 6-1.