PLANO, TX. - When you're used to being and staying at the top, finishing second can leave a pit in your stomach. The ASA Miami men's tennis team finished second at the 2018 NJCAA National Tournament on the campus of Collin College in Plano, Texas. Tyler Junior College from Tyler, Texas took home the championship. ASA came into the tournament with a target on their back after earning back-to-back championships in 2016 and 2017. With that being said, finishing the season as the second best team in the country is nothing to be ashamed of.
ASA Miami head tennis coach Brian Slack is exceptionally proud of his team and their accomplishments. "At the end of the day, we put ourselves in position to win a national championship on the final day of the tournament." Slack said. "That's what we worked all season for. Every other program in the country would kill to have that opportunity. We came up short and didn't win the matches that we needed to in order to be on top. Hats off to Tyler. Their kids played great tennis."
Kentaro Mizushima earned a national championship at flight five singles in a win over Tyler's Drew Brown, 6-3, 6-1. Tomas Santantonio, Tin Chen and Andres Cabezas were the runner-up in their respective flights and were also named 2018 NJCAA Second Team All-Americans. Chen/Sergio Ingles - one doubles and Mizushima/Cabezas - two doubles - were the runner-up in their flight respectively and named second team All-Americans.
Singles Final Round
- 1 Singles | Marcus Walters (Tyler JC) def. Tin Chen 6-2, 6-1
- 4 Singles | Alejandro Hayen (Tyler JC) def. Andres Cabezas 7-6 (2), 6-3
- 5 Singles | Kentaro Mizushima def. Drew Brown (Tyler JC) 6-3, 6-1
- 6 Singles | Karl Mosterd (Tyler JC) def. Tomas Santantonio 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
Doubles Final Round
- 1 Doubles | Alex Parker/Marcus Walters (Tyler JC) def. Tin Chen/Sergio Ingles 7-5, 7-6 (3)
- 2 Doubles | Alejandro Hayen/Aaron Westerlund (Tyler JC) def. Kentaro Mizushima/Andres Cabezas 7-6(4), 6-4