HIALEAH, FL. - After a strong season in 2017 where both teams were ranked by the U.S. Track & Field & Cross Country Coaches Association, ASA Miami Head Coach Sidney Cartwright and his teams are hungry for more. The men's team was ranked as high as 27th during the season and the women's team finished ranked 22nd. Last season was the first year as members of the NJCAA where in 2016 both teams competed as club teams in their first year of existence.
The women's team is led by sophomore Kala Penn, who placed nationally in two different events last season. Penn finished third in the triple jump (12.82 meters) and fifth in long jump (5.79 meters) last season. She received a number of awards in 2017, most notably earning NJCAA All-American Honorable Mention. Penn is also an exceptional student-athlete and earned the Third Team NJCAA All-Academic Award.
The men's team is led by Ronique Todman and Kevin Wallace. Todman and Wallace return as two of the four participants in the 4x100 relay team from last season that qualified for nationals with a time of 41.77. Individually, Todman placed 18th in both the 200m run (21.71) and the 400m run (48.10). The Marcial brothers; Evenson Marcial and Ibsen Marcial also return for the Silver Storm as jumpers and look to build off of last season. Ibsen's personal records are as follows high jump - 2.00m, long jump - 6.73m and triple jump 13.69m.
- Friday, January 15th - First meet of the season in Birmingham, Alabama for the UAB Blazer Invitational.
- Friday, March 2nd - 2018 NJCAA Indoor National Championships at the Texas Tech Sports Performance Center in Lubbock, Texas.
- Wednesday, March 14th - First local meet at the Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar, Florida for the Shark Invitational hosted by Nova Southeastern University.
- Friday, April 6th - UM Alumni Invitational at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, Florida.
- Thursday, May 17th - 2018 NJCAA Outdoor National Championships at the Texas Tech Sports Performance Center in El Dorado, Texas.