Sports Contact: J.T. Wilcox, Sports Information Director
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 14, 2019
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL – ASA Miami put on a dominant performance fitting of the No. 1 ranked team in the NJCAA – winning 26 out of possible 27 points to capture the 2019 Region VIII Tournament Championship Saturday at Sanlando Park.
Earning the regional crown over the weekend gave the Lady Silver Storm their third Region VIII title in the past four years. ASA Miami won back to back crowns in 2016-2017.
ASA Miami head coach Brian Slack, who admitted before the start of the tourney that his team went to Altamonte Springs with a bit of a chip on their shoulder after missing out on winning the region this past season, said he was proud of the way his team performed on the elevated stage.
"Couldn't be prouder of the girls these two days here at Sanlando Park," Slack said. "We came here with one thing on our mind and that was to win the region tournament and let the state know we are the best in the region. That isn't the goal we set out for though when we got together in January. The goal is to win the National Championship each year."
"This was just one step toward that," Slack said.
1. Molly Helgesson won 6-3, 6-2 vs. Hillsborough Community College
2. Tatiana Simova won 6-4, 6-3 vs. Eastern Florida State College
3. Irina Lapsutina won 7-6(5), 6-3 vs. Hillsborough Community College
4. Zulay Castaneda won 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 vs. Hillsborough Community College
5. Michaela Krauskova lost 7-5, 6-0 vs. Hillsborough Community College
6. Ji Youn Lee won 6-1, 6-1 vs. Hillsborough Community College
1. Simova/Krauskova won 6-0, 6-2 vs. Hillsborough Community College
2. Helgesson/Lapsutina won 6-4, 6-4 vs. Hillsborough Community College
3. Castaneda/Kim won 6-3, 6-2 vs. Hillsborough Community College
ASA Miami 26
Hillsborough Community College 18
St. Petersburg College 7.5
State College of Florida 6
Broward College 5
Eastern Florida State College 5